Wednesday, November 23, 2011

i'll climb the tree if you climb the tree.








Tomorrow will come, dressed in newspaper
balancing a phone book. Tomorrow will come
like a valid point opposing a valid argument.

I walk around the house, turning off lights.
Boys assume they'll outlive their fathers
as lakes freesze, snow appraises the house and turns back.

Look in my eyes: you can see my talent for flagging taxis-
that I'll give a dollar even if the charge was fifty cents.
Tomorrow will wither, will tear a sleeve of thought,

will try to make a pact with your worst mistake.
And if we were younger, we'd wriggle out.
But we lack knapsnacks and a knowledge of getaway paths.

So I'll climb the tree if you climb the tree.
The branches are cold, clothed in snow. But we must climb.
Higher is a hardness when all you see are branches.

- Jeff Latosik.

No comments:

Post a Comment